Nature's Support During a Pandemic
Prevention is better than cureis the basic principle of medicine. The global momentum of Covid-19 is unabated, economies are reopening and a second wave is anticipated. What measures can we take to safeguard our health and that of our families and community? The Sri Sri Tattva Ayurveda Immunity Kit is a common answer I am hearing these days.
A Doctor recently texted me from a hospital in California. She was distressed that cases are on the rise, worried for her patients and about her family. She wanted suggestions on herbs to boost her immunity. In India, many health care workers, at the frontline of managing this pandemic, are routinely taking preventative Ayurvedic herbs and followingAyurveda guidelines to safeguard their health. The Indian government has startedscientific clinical trials on shortlisted herbs and in some states doctors have been administeringAyurvedic herbs to asymptomatic patients and healthcare workers. As the country reopens,preventative measures are being given a lot of importance.
In the US, the National Ayurvedic Medical Association (NAMA) Board President,Margaret Mikulis wrote to the Ayurvedic community in March that conservatively speaking, there is no prevention, treatment or cure for Covid-19. “Despite this, our community should be encouraged to employ the ancient knowledge of Ayurveda, which by nature upholds “prevention” as a core principle. We are so fortunate to be able to use Ayurvedic tools and practices that can promote resistance to infection and provide symptomatic relief.”
Ayurveda and Immunity
Ayurveda is a traditional healing science that is holistic, preventative and helps in the management of disorders with herbs and therapies that are robust and promising in this situation. It is practiced as a traditional form of medicine in India, approved by WHO and a form of Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) in the US. Immunity in Ayurveda is defined as the ability of the body to withstand any type of diseases (including those caused by pathogens) and upon falling sick, recover from them easily. Covid-19 has made us acutely aware that in the absence of (and while waiting for) a cure or herd immunity through a widely available and proven vaccine, we have to safeguard and activate our body’s natural defense mechanism. There are many papers about the efficacy of Ayurveda in this context. A prominent one is “the Public Health Approach of Yoga and Ayurveda for Covid-19 prophylaxis”; this study highlights how these traditional sciences can be effectively utilized in prevention, protection of vulnerable target organs, adjuvant therapy, mental health support and as an integrative approach to support patients of COVID-19 receiving standard care.
Many of us have heard of the super immune-booster Guduchi (Amruth) which is part of scientific clinical trials for Covid-19, many take turmeric in our diet (is it potentiated enough?) How can we use traditional science and modern research to confidently support our health? Why do we need to take the herbs in the immunity kit daily and what is in the immunity kit? Let’s explore that.
5 Reasons to use the Herbs in your Immunity Kit Daily!
- The good news about immunity is it can be improved!We’ve discussed different types of immunity and immune boosting practices in a previous article (read here). Yuktikrutaja Bala is immunity that is acquired through a combination of dietary and lifestyle activities. There are powerful herbs that help with disease resistance.
- We shift focus from the pathogen to strengthening the host,a fundamental and key approach of Ayurveda!
- Boosting immunity is not for pandemics alone;it is to enhance overall health and disease prevention. The concepts of immunomodulation are extensively explored in Ayurveda particularly in the form of Rasayana therapy and these are strengthening, rejuvenating herbs and formulations (tonics) that Sri Sri Tattva has selected for your daily use.
- Besides being broad spectrum the herbs target vulnerable organ systems and are anti-inflammatory.
- The pandemic has also led to a mental health crisis and the herbs are holistic, supporting mind-body-spirit healing (through strengthening what is the manovaha srotas or mind channel).
Benefits of Using the Ayurvedic Immunity Kit Daily(once or twice before meals)
- Preventative health support with the goodness of 10 organic herbs
- Immune Boosters – Activate the body’s natural defense system
- Rejuvenate and enhance strength and energy
- Support nervous system – Manage anxiety and stress
- Support respiratory and digestive health
- Metabolic health – Support fat and sugar metabolism.
- Recommended by top Ayurvedic practitioners
- These herbs are safe, efficacious, broad-spectrum with ease of administration and long term experiential knowledge on their use.
What are the Immunity Kit Herbs and their indications?
1. Basic Immunity Kit
a. Amruth ( Tinospora Cordifolia) - Amruth, Guduchi or Giloy, widely known and being studied by traditional and modern medicine both enhances immunity, supports detoxification, stress alleviation, fat and sugar metabolism, the healthy functioning of the liver, joints and muscles and restores the energy balance.*
b. Shakti Drops – A powerful and effective proprietary anti-inflammatory immune boosting, rejuvenating formulation developed by Sri Sri Tattva, Shakti Drops enhance strength and is comprised of*:
- Amla: antioxidant, rejuvenator*
- Amruth (Giloy): immunity booster & restores energy balance*
- Ashwagandha: fights stress & improves immunity*
- Bringaraj: supports body rejuvenation*
- Brahmi: increases alertness, helps with stress*
- Shankapushpi: tridosha balancer & increases energy levels*
- Satavari: maintains hormonal balance & provides nourishment*
- Yashtimadhu: tridosha balancer; supports healthy antibody production*
2. Complete Immunity Kit – The comprehensive immune boosting, anti-inflammatory kit that is good for overall health and strengthens the respiratory system.* As we go into the flu season, we highly recommend that you take these daily.
a. Amruth (Giloy)
b. Shakti Drops
c. Turmeric – Is a powerful and popular antioxidant packed with numerous health benefits on which many studies have been conducted and are underway. It boosts the immune system, helps nurture the heart, circulatory and digestive system, supports the healthy functioning of the brain and nervous system and the healthy movement of the joints.*
d. Tulasi Drops (Holy Basil) – Supports the healthy functioning of the intestinal and respiratory tract, is rich in antioxidants which help in mitigating stress and aids healthy circulation and weight management.*
3. Additional Immunity Boosting Herbs and Formulations (As prescribed by your Ayurvedic Practitioner) – These include and are not limited to, Chyawanprash, Ashwagandha, Amla and Yashtimadhu. Seek an appointment (click here) to get a herbal regimen for your individualized need based on your prakriti (Dosha-wise body constitution) and vikrati(imbalance).
4. Ojasvita – Good health meets great taste with this immune boosting chocolate and malt drink for kids and adults alike which can be had with milk or water (warm or at room temperature); it contains seven powerful herbs, Ashwagandha, Brahmi, Bringaraj, Shatavari, Shankapushpi (also in Shakti drops) and additionally, Jyotishmati (which sharpens memory*) and Kali Musli (which increases strength*). Sometimes it is difficult to have children take herbs; here’s the solution for you!
According to New York based Dr Bhaswati Bhattacharya (MPH, MD Family Medicine, PhD, Ayurveda-BHU and Fulbright Specialist in Global Public Health/Integrative Medicine 2018-21), “It is not unscientific to use herbs. It is unscientific to deny their existence, when the scientific clinical literature is full of good studies.”
Studies about individual herbs and formulations:There are multiple scientific studies about the efficacy of individual herbs in the immunity kit which we will go over in subsequent articles.
Clinical Trials:Clinical trials to determine the efficacy of many of these herbs and formulations during the Covid-19 pandemic (including Sri Sri Tattva’s Immunity kits and Shakti Drops) are underway. Here is a partial list.
Indian Government Clinical Trials – To assess the benefit of Ayurvedic herbs as a preventative intervention and add on therapy; the herbs include Guduchi (Amruth), Pippali, Ashwagandha, Yashtimadhu and Ayush-64 (a proprietary formulation). Sri Sri Tattva’s Immunity Kit contains Amruth (Giloy) and Shakti Drops has 8 herbs including Ashwagandha, Yashtimadhu as well as Amruth (Giloy).
Bangalore Hospital Trials on Sri Sri Tattva formulations – 50 asymptomatic and mildly symptomatic Covid19 patients at BMCRI, a dedicated Covid-19 hospital are part of an interventional, comparative study on the effect of Sri Sri Tattva’s immunity kits.
Shakti Drop Trials - A research initiated and led by FIZ in Europe will analyze within the “Ayurgenomics” project (that aims to develop evidence-based research) whether Ayurveda phytoactive substances can support the human body against the Covid-19 infections (examining the anti-inflammatory “Shakti Drops” for its immune-boosting ACE2: SARS-CoV-2 Spike interaction inhibitor capability).
India and US Clinical Trials on Ayurvedic Formulations - Ayurvedic practitioners and researchers in India and the US will initiate joint clinical trials for Ayurveda formulations against the novel coronavirus, the Indian Ambassador to the US advised recently though further details are awaited.
Research and Manufacturing Practices: A question many have in relation to Ayurvedic herbs is regarding their quality and standardization. Sri Sri Tattva’s Ayurvedic herbs adhere to world class standards of manufacturing, research and development and quality control with the prestigious GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice), HACCP certification (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point) and follow specific nation-wise requirements. Sri Sri Tattva has also progressed to form a “College of Ayurvedic Science and Research” and a state of the art “Sri Sri Ayurveda Hospital” in India and is staffed by highly qualified Ayurvedic practitioners (Doctors as they are called in India), researchers, scientists and professionals. The synergy between traditional medicine and modern science is what they offer. The herbs are gluten-free, organic, non-GMO, vegan, cruelty-free, tested for heavy metals and adhere to the highest manufacturing standards.
Health is wealth, it is in your hands and we would like to support you. As the country reopens, building good practices are important to build immunity and as a lifelong commitment to your health and wellness. Sri Sri Tattva’s Immunity Kit could be part of your daily strengthening toolkit just as brushing, eating nourishing food, sleeping enough and attending to your lifestyle is. In the words of Acharya Shunya, “A well-lived day is medicine unto itself.”
Our subsequent features will focus and delve deeper into each herb or formulation in the kits. We will talk about the references in root texts, modern studies and indications for use. Watch this space!
Read more about Sri Sri Tattva Here
Published by Anuradha Gupta
Anuradha Gupta is an Engineer, MBA, writer and Ayurvedic Wellness Practitioner. She has a corporate background and volunteers for Art of Living and other nonprofits. You can find her on Facebook, LinkedIn orInstagram.
This content on the Sri Sri Tattva blog is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician, or other qualified health providers with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Any links to third party websites is provided as a convenience only and the Sri Sri Tattva Blog is not responsible for their content.