The 8 Best Herbs for Immunity Support
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), approximately 80% of the world population uses herbal medicine for some aspect of their health care. Ayurveda is a 5000 year old traditional form of medicine in India, complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) in the US and is popular in many nations around the world including Hungary, Germany, Russia, Israel, Canada and several Asian countries. It is holistic and uses nutrition and lifestyle interventions, therapies, herbs and formulations in the prevention and management of disorders. Shakti Drops is one of the more known products globally which has managed to receive a lot of attention from holistic health focused consumers.
Shakti Drops is an Ayurvedic formulation. Did you know…
- There are multiple ongoing studies & clinical trials regarding the efficacy of Shakti Drops in Covid-19 prevention and therapy.
- The Indian Government is doing a major clinical trial involving four ancient herbs as part of a Covid-19 integrative approach, three of which are in Shakti Drops…
What are Shakti Drops?
Shakti Drops is a very popular immune boosting, anti-inflammatory, & rejuvenating Ayurvedic preparation by Sri Sri Tattva that is part of many people’s daily regimen worldwide*. It is available in the US for distribution and adheres to stringent quality control guidelines.
I heard about Shakti Drops from the founder of Art of Living, Sri Sri Ravi Shankar Ji way back in 2012 and was fascinated with discussions about its efficacy. Have you wondered why the name “Shakti ”? While we know of Shakti as the feminine divine energy, it has another powerful connotation in Ayurveda. The word Shakti is a synonym for Bala (strength of an individual) which in Ayurveda implies one’s Ojas (vitality) and Vyadhishamatwam (immunity). We also know that immunity can be built up over time (through practices and herbs that boost immunity). Particularly now that we are in the midst of a pandemic (with the economy re-opening slowly), our focus is on preventative health; this has highlighted the relevance of Ayurveda (here’s an interesting paper on the subject). In India even many frontline healthcare workers are taking Ayurvedic herbs to boost their immunity!
What do Shakti Drops contain?
Shakti Drops is a potent combination of eight traditional and certified organic Ayurvedic herbs. This is a herbal immunomodulatory formulation and previous studies by third parties have shown that Shakti drops have a potent antioxidant and free radical scavenging activity justifying its use as a Rasayana or rejuvenator. Even the individual herbs in Shakti Drops are well known with long term experiential knowledge about their efficacy and a synergistic effect in the overall formulation.
The herbs and their benefits are:
- Amla (Emblica officinalis) antioxidant, rejuvenator*
- Amruth (Giloy or Guduchi, Tinospora cordifolia): immunity booster & restores energy balance*
- Ashwagandha (Indian ginseng or Withania somnifera): fights stress & improves immunity*
- Bhringaraj (Eclipta alba): supports body rejuvenation*
- Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri ): increases alertness, helps with stress*
- Shankapushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis): tridosha balancer & increases energy levels*
- Satavari (Asparagus racemosus): maintains hormonal balance & provides nourishment*
- Yashtimadhu (Licorice or Glycyrrhiza glabra): tridosha balancer; supports healthy antibody production*
Why take Herbal Immunomodulators?
- Herbal immunomodulators are substances which stimulate the components of the immune system, both innate and adaptive immune responses.
- Herbal Immunomodulators such as Shakti Drops, Amruth, Turmeric, Tulasi, Amla and Ashwagandha have naturally obtained and safe contents and are helpful in achieving optimum effectiveness of the immune system.
- They also have potent anti-inflammatory, antiviral, anti-bacterial, stress relieving and cytoprotective properties.
- While there are no medicines currently that are proven to prevent Covid-19, boosting one’s immunity helps in avoiding all ailments and recovering faster from diseases. The Ayurveda approach is to shift focus from the pathogen to strengthening the host.
- (Yuktikrut) Immunity is not built in a day and requires consistent effort over time.
- The COVID-19 pandemic has led to a mental health crisis. Immunomodulatory herbs in Ayurveda like Shakti drops are Rasayanas (rejuvenators) that help with both physical and mental health. Shankapushpi, Yashtimadhu, Amruth and Brahmi contained in Shakti Drops are well known Medhya Rasayanas by themselves (tonics that de-stress and improve cognitive function)
What are some of the Clinical Trials & Studies involving Shakti Drops (or its ingredients) in the context of Covid-19
- Bangalore Hospital Trials on Sri Sri Tattva formulations – 50 asymptomatic and mildly symptomatic Covid19 patients at BMCRI, a dedicated Covid-19 hospital are part of an interventional, comparative study on the effect of Sri Sri Tattva’s immunity kits.
- Shakti Drop Trials – A research initiated and led by FIZ in Europe will analyze within the “Ayurgenomics” project (that aims to develop evidence-based research) whether Ayurveda phytoactive substances can support the human body against the Covid-19 infections (examining the anti-inflammatory “Shakti Drops” for its immune-boosting ACE2: SARS-CoV-2 Spike interaction inhibitor capability).
- Indian Government Clinical Trials – To assess the benefit of Ayurvedic herbs as a preventative intervention and add on therapy; the herbs include Guduchi (Amruth potentiated with Pippali), Ashwagandha, Yashtimadhu and Ayush-64 (a proprietary formulation). Sri Sri Tattva’s Immunity Kit contains Amruth and Shakti Drops which consists of 8 herbs including Ashwagandha, Yashtimadhu as well as Amruth (Giloy).
How scientific is Ayurveda and how safe are the herbs?
Ayurvedic herbs are time tested but that’s not all. From the WHO to the Indian Government, to countries around the world like the US, Hungary and Germany, many nations are working to combine the best of this traditional science with modern research and the studies and trials referenced in this article demonstrate that. A lot of emphasis is being given on standardization and the safety of herbs and therapies across the globe.
Sri Sri Tattva is part of this effort and comes with a 360-degree approach towards health and wellness including a College of Ayurveda Science and Research, a state-of-the-art Hospital, inspired Doctors and Therapists, Panchakarma Wellness Centers, Spas and Clinics, Manufacturing facilities driven by technology and stringent control systems and widely growing national and international presence, the brand has a holistic approach to health and wellness. Sri Sri Tattva’s manufacturing facilities have earned some of the most prestigious certifications, such as, AYUSH Premium Mark (GMP based on WHO guidelines), ISO 22000:2005, HACCP, EU Organic and ANMAT GMP to name a few.
Shakti Drops is a broad spectrum preparation with a great deal of efficacy and ease of administration. Just 5 drops in a small cup of water (150 ml) twice a day works both like a tonic and a shield. Definitely something to incorporate in your daily regimen!
Read more about Sri Sri Tattva Here
Published by Anuradha Gupta
Anuradha Gupta is an Engineer, MBA, writer and Ayurvedic Wellness Practitioner. She has a corporate background and volunteers for Art of Living and other nonprofits. You can find her on Facebook, LinkedIn or Instagram.
This content on the Sri Sri Tattva blog is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician, or other qualified health providers with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Any links to third party websites is provided as a convenience only and the Sri Sri Tattva Blog is not responsible for their content.